Interested in free printables with customizable backgrounds? With this method you have the ability to choose the background color and design that best suits your home.
Do you love all of the free beautiful printables available all over the internet? But maybe you don’t take advantage either because they require a color printer or perhaps you love the saying but the look doesn’t quite match your home decor. I am constantly in awe of all the beautiful printables that so many bloggers are willing to design and share for free, but unfortunately for me I often have to pass them up.
We haven’t even owned a color printer for a while now. Previously we had an inkjet and it seemed like everytime we turned around one of the colored ink cartridges was either empty or dried up. And so often it seemed like the times when this happened all we needed was to print something in black and white. But the printer refused to print until all of the ink cartridges were operating. Gah! So frustrating isn’t it?
There have also been many times I found a printable with a saying that would have been the perfect expression to display on our mantle or hang on a wall, but unfortunately the color scheme of the printable didn’t quite go with the look of our home.
I figured there must be others experiencing these same issues and missing out on all the budget friendly (what’s more budget friendly than free?!) printables, so I was determined to find an alternative.
What I came up with not only allows you to have free printables without a color printer, they also allow you to easily customize their look to match your specific decor. The colors and patterns can vary by season or according to the look of a certain room in your house.
The secret to free printables with customizable backgrounds and do not require a color printer? Scrapbook paper! By printing directly onto scrapbook paper you get to choose the look that works best in your home.
You choose the scrapbook paper that has the color(s) and design that works best in your home. Then download my free black and white printables, load your scrapbook paper into your printer and hit print. That’s all you need for full color printables that only require a black and white printer.
A few simple supplies and 4 easy steps is all it takes to put these printables on display:
- 8×10 Frame
- Scrapbook paper– stick with paper that is light to neutral in color and if it has a design, choose one that doesn’t have too busy of a pattern. You can buy any size paper you want, but if you buy a size bigger than 8 1/2 X 11 you may need to trim it down before loading it into your printer.
- Pen or pencil
- Free printables– link at the bottom of this post
- Load scrapbook paper into your printer. If you don’t already know whether to load the paper face up or face down, run a test print by putting an “X” on one side of a plain white piece of paper. Put the paper in the printer with the “X” mark facing down. Send something to the printer (this can be something as simple as typing “Test” in a Word doc). If the paper comes out with the “X” mark on the same side as your test print then you know to load the scrapbook paper face down, if the “X” and test print were on opposite sides then load your scrapbook paper face up.
- Print the free printable of your choice.
- If your frame will only fit an 8×10 piece of paper, use the glass from your frame as a template to cut the paper down to size. The reason for using the glass is that it will allow you to see the design so you can get it centered. Using a pen or pencil, draw trace lines around the edges. Cut along your trace lines. (If you purchased a frame that has an opening larger than 8×10 you can skip this step of trimming down the paper and instead just place the print into the frame. You may want to put a small piece of tape at the top of the printable to hold the paper in place.)
- Place the print into the frame and you’re done!
For a special touch, see this post for a tutorial on how to hang these prints on your wall using a decorative drawer knob.
To get your free printables, please enter your information in the subscribe box below. By subscribing, not only will you gain access to all of the free printables on this page, but you will continue to have access to all new printables as they are added to the library. The designs in this post include:
Linking up at: